Now Open Saturdays For Your Convenience
5 Remedies for Your Toothache
We’ve all been there—whether it comes on in an instant or slowly creeps up on us, a toothache is no fun to deal with. Typically caused by decay, receding gums or even a broken or loose filling, it’s important that the root cause of your toothache is addressed—making a visit to our practice a priority.
However, if you’re out of town or have an obligation that won’t allow you to visit us right away, check out these home remedies for toothaches to tide you over.
1. Try a cold compress. When a toothache is caused by swollen gums or an injury, holding a cold compress against your cheek may offer relief as it constricts blood vessels near the affected area.
2. Sip on peppermint tea. Did you know that peppermint tea has natural numbing properties? This makes it a great natural remedy for a toothache.
3. Rinse your mouth with salt water. Dissolving one teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and rinsing your mouth can help reduce swelling and dislodge debris between teeth or cavities.
4. Consider over the counter pain medication. Ask your pharmacist for advice on which type will help most.
5. Use an antibacterial mouthwash. If your toothache is caused by an infection, rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash can aid in the defense against germs. Check the label of your mouthwash to see if it has antibacterial properties.
Remember, if pain is persistent, give us a call to schedule an appointment. We look forward to helping you feel better!