Here are five easy tips to remember to ensure your teeth are fortified against a not-so-sweet onslaught:
- Make H2O your beverage of choice. Not only can choosing water reduce caloric consumption but it can help to wash away decay-causing plaque. Saying no to sugary cocktails also can help to protect your teeth.
- Snack smart. Consider eating like Santa’s reindeer. Baby carrots not only provide a satisfying crunch but they can help keep your teeth clean. Apples and celery are also excellent choices.
- Maintain good oral hygiene. Ensure that you don’t take a holiday from everyday brushing and flossing. Brushing your teeth at least twice a day (for two minutes at a time) and flossing once a day are smile-friendly habits that you will want to engage in year-round.
- Choose calcium-rich foods. Cheese, almonds, greens such as kale, okra and spinach are all good sources of calcium. Consider eating more of these during holiday get-togethers and less of sticky foods such as dried fruit and hard treats.
- Remember to keep your dental appointment. Though shopping and entertaining may be high on your holiday to-do list, don’t forego an essential must-do — visiting us for a checkup. We can recommend enamel-strengthening toothpaste that can help to fortify your teeth.
Schedule an appointment today.